My husband and I moved our family of three plus a cat to Texas in 2005. Shortly after that I began substitute teaching to try out teaching and fell in love. After training at the Education Service Center Region XI I sat for my certification exams, (I have 5 certifications).
In 2010 my son was given the diagnosis of Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, and ADHD inattentive. This inspired me to get Masters of Education with a focus on reading at Dallas Baptist University. The last three has been spent as a small group Title I reading tutor in Birdville ISD. Currently I am training at Southern Methodist University to sit for the Certified Academic Language Therapist exam.
I understand what it is like to be a parent of a dyslexic child. It has shaped the direction I have gone in. My background has helped me be an advocate for my son, making sure he his needs are met by a thorough IEP in place to meet his needs.
- Mother of a Dyslexic, Dysgraphic, ADHD son
- Education Service Center Region XI, Alternative Teacher Preparation Program
- Dallas Baptist University, Master’s of Education with a reading focus
- Title I reading Tutor, O.H. Stowe Elementary School for three years
- Southern Methodist University Graduate Studies Learning Therapy Specialization
- Member International Dyslexia Association
- Student member Academic Language Therapy Association
- Attended the International Dyslexia Association 2015 Conference